Thursday, May 24, 2012

Military Finds Acupuncture Brings Relief

Acupuncture has been steadily gaining recognition as a viable treatment option for military veterans.  The Army Pain Management Task Force was created in 2009 to make recommendations for a comprehensive pain management strategy and includes acupuncture and chiropractic care.

Recent studies tell us that at least 40% of veterans entering the VA system are coping with pain. Pharmaceuticals can help reduce the pain, but if soldiers become reliant on high powered painkillers, the Department of Veterans Affairs may have to deal with the side effects for decades to come. 

Acupuncture is also offered to help veterans cope with PTSD. Here is a testimonial given to Acupuncturists Without Borders,

My name is Raul and I’d like to let you know how acupuncture has benefited me. First a little about myself, I served two tours in combat in Vietnam from 1968-1970. I suffer with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I’m 100% disabled because of PTSD. My symptomology from PTSD is wide in range. I have high anxiety, easily angered. I have a hard time sleeping with nightmares and flashbacks and I’m always mind-racing. I had a hard time relaxing.

I was introduced to acupuncture from another combat friend of mine. The organization is Acupuncturists Without Borders. I’ve been receiving treatment once a week for about the last two and half months now.

I believe that because of the acupuncture treatments I have become calmer and my anxiety level has drastically come down. I’m able to sleep more restfully and longer and without nightmares or flashbacks. My mind-racing is definitely not as bad. I now feel that I can sit and kickback and relax without feeling anxious. I attribute my changes to the acupuncture treatments I’ve received. I can say that acupuncture works. It does for me. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment